Sunday, January 11, 2009

Rough Start

This was my first week back to running after my foot injury. There were days when I was really motivated and other days when I wasn't. I'm thinking that will be the constant cycle for a little while. This week I didn't accomplish what I set to do, but I made some baby steps. I set a goal to try and run 2 miles on Saturday, but I only made it to 1.45 miles. I am really struggling when I run in the mornings. I don't seem to have as much energy than when I run in the evenings. I thought it would be the other way around but it's isn't. I was also having a hard time being distracted when I ran on Saturday.
Currently I am training inside on a treadmill, and maybe that's why I'm struggling. I think that maybe running outside might work out better for me, but it's too dang cold right now to do so. When I run at the gym I try to go in the Cardio Cinema room so I can watch a movie while I run. That usually does the trick if I cover up the distance and time with a towel. But the gym has been really busy lately with it being "National Diet Month" and so all of the treadmills were taken in the Cinema. I had to resort to a treadmill in the regular cardio area and I forgot my ear phones, so I had absolutely NOTHING to distract me. It was hard. I left feeling tired and doubtful. But Rob quickly reminded me that it was only my 6th or 7th time running and so it's going to be a slow road in the beginning. I am an EXTREMELY impatient person and so if I had it my way I would be running 5 or 6 miles by now. But my body isn't cut out for that, so I have to be patient and wait until I work myself up to that.
So this week I am going to take it slow and easy. I'm not exactly sure on how and when to boost up my distance. I have tried to google training programs, but most of them are 6 or 8 week programs and that doesn't really work for me right now. If any of you have experience in training for races, I would love some advice!
This week also hasn't been that great for weight loss. I had gained .8 lbs during the holidays, which I wasn't too upset over, but only lost .2 this week. I know I need to be more disciplined with my treats. And also stay away from my "red light" foods. One of them being chips and salsa. This weekend we had friends over and we sat at the table and chatted and I sat and stuffed my face full of chips. Once I start, I can't stop. Especially when it's super spicy salsa. I know that there are some major things I need to work on with my nutrition and that is another goal I am trying to achieve. Here's to another week of trying to stay optimistic!

1 comment:

  1. Jill, you seriously are so awesome! I will talk to Brandon and see if his running club has a good training program and then I'll email it to you! Keep it up! You can do it!

    ReplyDelete